Temporary Foreign Workers

For temporary foreign workers, a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), formerly called a "Labour Market Opionion"), is generally required (except in specified cases, such as workers covered under international agreements, participants in exchange programs or religious workers - a complete list can be found at:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit.asp).  A temporary foreign worker application is usually made from outside Canada, but can also be made from within or when entering Canada.  A number of conditions must be met by an applicant, including:

must leave Canada at the end of the employment period;

must demonstrate sufficient financial resources to support the stay in Canada;

must be in good health (a medical examination may be required);  and

Must not be a risk to the security of Canada and does not have a criminal record.