Live-in Caregivers


Live-in caregivers, are foreign persons able to provide care for children, elderly people or people with disabilities in private homes without supervision: A live-in caregiver must live in the same private home where he or she works, as well as fulfilling other conditions:

In order to employ a live-in caregiver from another country, the Canadian employer who wishes to hire the caregiver must obtain a positive labour market impact assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada.  Other conditions must also be met, including:

A written contract with the future employer must be submitted with the application;

The applicant must have finished the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education; and

The applicant must have a minimum of six months of training or one prior year of full-time paid experience as a caregiver or in a related occupation.

For complete details, please consult: