Studying in Canada

For students, eligibility requirements vary depending upon the location and type of work for which an application is made, such as work on-campus, work off-campus, co-op work or internship, or work following graduation from a program of study. 


Depending upon the nature and length of the program of study undertaken, a foreign student may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.  This application stream provides graduates from accredited programs of study with the opportunity to obtain an open work permit, which enables the holder to obtain employment in any field during the term of the permit.


Foreign students who have worked in Canada under a Post-Graduation Work Permit following the completion of their studies, may be eligible to apply for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program.  Applicants for this program must meet all of the requirements for other applicants for permanent residence, and must: 

plan to live outside the province of Quebec;

have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before applying through CEC;

have gained work experience in Canada with the proper authorization; and

meet the required language levels needed for  job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).