Business Travel to Canada

A business visitor is someone who comes to Canada to take part in international business activities without being part of the Canadian labour market. Business visitors usually stay in Canada for a few days or a few weeks but are able to stay for up to six months.  Business visitors do not require a work permit to enter Canada.

For business persons (who are not defined under Canadian immigration regulations as "business visitors"), a work pemit must be obtained in order to enter Canada to conduct any business or investment activities under one of the free trade agreements (FTAs) to which Canada is a signatory.

Such agreements include the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and other bilateral agreements (for example, the Canada-Chile FTA, the Canada-Peru FTA, etc.) and the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS). The conditions for obtaining a work permit under a Free Trade Agreement vary according to the particular agreement (more details can be found at: